BS2144 Desktop Publishing
The assessment is in the form of a practical piece of coursework, accompanying video commentary.
1. PRACTICAL ELEMENT 75% of overall grade
Your role is as a Publications Manager for a publications and design company. You have the task of choosing and approaching a local business or organisation, and designing their promotional material.
The paper based materials must include a minimum of 5 individual pieces of paper based promotional material
This brief is extremely flexible for a number of reasons
1. to encourage creativity
2. provide an insight into the design/creative process
3. to give you a greater understanding of the stages of print production
4. to fulfil the needs of the client and take the project to the completion stage
Extent, page size and finishing
There are no upper limits on the extent of the material; it is up to you as a publications manager to establish the quantity of paper based material required. The printers in the labs should not limit the size of the materials, this means that you should not stick to A4 as a standard, creativity will be rewarded and encouraged. The promotional material does not need to be bound, although mock ups would be a way of explaining your concept and design solution.
Submission will be on an online service.
2. Video presentation 25% 3 minutes in length
The video will be a based on the creative process, planning and delivering to client requirements
Useful sections would include:
- target audience
- where and how the material will be used
- readability and usability
- typeface choice/s
- use of colour
- images, graphics and text
Practical element 70% - of final mark, subdivided as follows:
Design solution 60%
Meeting the clients needs 30%
Spelling and grammar 10%
Written report 30% - of final mark, subdivided as follows:
Content - the creative process 80%
Clarity of communication 20%